Pane Cafone (Country Man's Bread)

Pane Cafone (Country Man's Bread)

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Thoughts about pan release spray and better alternatives

I've been gone for awhile, off on a little cycling adventure across the US, but I'm back and baking again.

One of the things I was thinking of today was what I use for a release agent for my baking pans.  When I started baking I was using a leading no stick cooking spray but the thought of what may be coming out of an aerosol can and the disposal of the can always bothered me so I started looking for alternatives.   For regular cooking I use a pump up bottle with regular cooking oil in it to oil the pans but it wasn't really suitable for what I wanted so I went looking for something better.  What I ultimately came up with was a mixture of liquid lecithin from the local food co-op and regular cooking oil.  The mixture I use is 2 parts lecithin to one part oil. It's too thick to spray from a pump up sprayer so I just keep the mixture in a glass jar and brush it on the bread pans with a pastry brush.  I store the liquid lecithin/oil mix in the fridge and just stir it up with a chop stick before I use it.  The bottle of liquid lecithin stays in the fridge as well.  Just a little goes a long way and I feel that it's a much healthier alternative to canned sprays.  It's also 100% organic and works better than the canned sprays or just coating the pans with oil or butter.  It also does not impart any added flavors to the breads or baked goods.

Give it a try, I think you'll be happy with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment