- 500 Grams soft grain flour (unbleached all-purpose flour)
- 235 Grams water
- 235 Grams active sourdough culture (levain)
- 13 Grams fine sea salt. (Do not use salt with iodine added.)
Directions1. Mix the flour, water and active sourdough starter together in a bowl with a stout wooden spoon. If it gets too difficult, knead it out on a lightly floured surface until everything is well incorporated.
2. Lightly oil the mixing bowl and place the mixture back in the bowl, cover with plastic or a damp towel and let autolyse for 30-60 minutes.
3. On a lightly floured surface, pour out the mixture and gently flatten it out. Sprinkle the salt over the mixture and knead for 5-7 minutes.
4. Return the dough to the oiled bowl, cover and let rise for 4 hours.
5. Punch down and form into a round loaf without slashing the top.*
6. Proof 2 more hours in a banneton or wicker basket lined with a lightly oiled and floured linen.
7. Slash top and bake in a preheated oven on a baking stone at 450F for 20 minutes then reduce heat to 400F and bake until center reaches 210F using a quick read thermometer. **
8. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.