I started with one tablespoon of SDI SF sourdough starter in a glass jar on the 5th of this month and I have been slowly building it up. For the 1st week I was feeding it twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening, 1 tablespoon (8 g) of all purpose flour and 2 teaspoons of warm water (10 g).
The beginning of second week I started doubling the amounts I fed it (2 tbl spoon of flour (16 g) & 4 tsp spoons (20 g) water. On Wednesday morning of the second week I increased the amount again to 1/2 cup of each (65 g flour, 118 g water).
After the Wednesday morning feeding, week 2
I plan to feed it the same amount on Wednesday night and then on Thursday morning I plan to pour out half and continue feeding it 1/2 cups of flour and water.
Friday is baking day for this batch. I plan to use Bob's Basic Sourdough Recipe to make the loaves.
On Friday I was scheduled to head out to Tallahassee to a friends house so I had to take the dough that I had made from the starter with me. The dough was on it's initial rise and I was concerned that it would overflow the rising bucket before I could get to where I was going. It did rise quite a bit more than I would have liked but, as it turned out, it didn't affect the final loaves.
Once I got to Betsy's house and got settled in for the weekend, I formed the loaves and put them in a couple of bread pans for the final rise. I wish I would have taken some pictures of the finished loaves, they turned out beautiful. Betsy has a wonderful new stove that seals up much tighter than my old stove and it really retained the moisture. I had a custard cup of water on the bottom of the stove to cook.
The loaves turned out fantastic and we had them with a pasta dinner the following night and made french toast on Sunday morning with what was left of them.