Pane Cafone (Country Man's Bread)

Pane Cafone (Country Man's Bread)

Friday, October 2, 2009

Sourdough French Bread

With the success of the last loaf that I cooked in the dutch oven, I've decided to try my hand at a free formed french bread loaf or two.
The recipe/formula is simplicity in itself and comes from Richard Packham.  Being that this is a Richard Packham recipe it's only fair that I use the Richard Packham 1965 San Francisco Starter to make it.  I refreshed/fed a couple of starters earlier this week and his just happened to be one of them.  After renewing a cup and putting it in the fridge, I kept the remainder out on the counter and I have been feeding it a couple of times a day for the last 3 days so it is very active.  My last reduction and feeding of it left just enough active starter for this recipe.  Perfect.


Sourdough French Bread
by Richard Packham

  • 1 1/2 cups fresh starter
  • 1 cup lukewarm water (236 g)
  • 1/2 tablespoon salt (3 g) I increased to 1 tablespoon
  • 4 to 5 cups of flour
Mix all ingredients and knead well until dough is smooth and very stiff.  Let stand covered until double.  Shape into two round or oblong loaves.  I plan to make a pair of rounds.
Place on greased cookie sheets.  For this step I'm going to use my terra cotta baking tile.  Let rise until double in size.  Slash the tops with a very sharp knife.
Ready for the oven


Bake 35 minutes or until done at 425F.  During the first half of the baking time, spray the oven every ten minutes with water (or leave a pan of water in the oven while baking).  I actually use both sometimes but in this instance I plan to just put a pan of water on the bottom of the oven.

The finished products


No comments:

Post a Comment