Pane Cafone (Country Man's Bread)

Pane Cafone (Country Man's Bread)

Friday, September 4, 2009

Product review - Mainstays Digital Kitchen Scale

I wanted to be able to get more accurate with my dough so I picked up a Mainstays Digital Scale at Walmart which sells 2 different versions.  The small one pictured above for $19.95 and a larger one with a few more bells and whistles for $34.95. 
Being the frugal individual that I am, I thought I would try out the smaller of the two first and see if that fit my needs.  It has a ten pound capacity with a tare function that is great for weighting more than one item in a single bowl. It measures in imperial or metric weights.
What I found in using the scale for a couple of weeks though is that it is not sensitive enough for some recipes.  When weighing out small quantities of a gram or two it may or may not registar until you hit a larger amount which can be a real problem when your trying to measure baking soda or baking powder into a dough.  I also found the auto shut off feature really annoying since there is no way to turn that feature off.  If you spend more than 30 seconds looking at the recipe you will return to a blank display screen.  It also shuts itself off if you pour the ingredients too slowly into the bowl.  Grrrrrr.

Final verdict:  No deal, I took it back and traded up for it's bigger brother.  I'll let you know in a couple of weeks how it works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment