Pane Cafone (Country Man's Bread)

Pane Cafone (Country Man's Bread)

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Sharing is caring part deux

An old friend of mine contacted me on Facebook the other day and was wondering when he was going to get a chance to sample my home made sourdough.  He works crazy hours and I never know when his day's off are so we have kind of lost touch with each other the last year of so.
Well in honor of my friendship with Steve and his wife Charlotte I'm going to bake him a loaf of honey wheat bread using the SDI SF sourdough starter and I'm going to bake it in my cast iron dutch oven.
The recipe I'm going to use is Richard Packham's Everyday Sourdough Bread but I'm substituting honey where the recipe calls for sugar.

2 cups fresh starter
1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons sugar (honey)
1 teaspoon  salt
4 tablespoons dried milk powder
1 cup whole wheat flour
all purpose flour to make a stiff dough 4 - 5 cups

What's going to be interesting is that I have never used the cast iron dutch oven to bake bread in before so I'm going to have to be careful with the cooking time.  I plan to do the final rise in the dutch oven and put it into a pre-heated oven set at 400F and bake it for 40 minutes and see where that takes me.
First Rise and the Dutch oven


One other thing that I'm going to try is retarding the sencond rise by letting it rise in the fridge the second time.

In the dutch oven and ready for the 2nd rise



The Finished product. That is a big loaf of bread! 


I hope you enjoy this as much as I enjoyed making it Steve.

No comments:

Post a Comment