Pane Cafone (Country Man's Bread)

Pane Cafone (Country Man's Bread)

Monday, September 28, 2009

Sharing is Caring

My current passion with Sourdough bread goes back to my very roots growing up in the San Francisco Bay area.  Until I moved to Florida 19 years ago I just took it for granted.  Now 19 years removed from California I had to find a way to get my daily sourdough bread so I decided to make my own even though I had very little experience with bread making.  I mean how hard can it be?  Mankind has been making bread for thousands of years.
None of this would have been possible with out the generosity of people like The Friends of Carl who distribute Carl Griffiths 1847 Oregon Trail Starter for the price of a self addressee stamped envelope which is what I started with.  Carl's starter is very easy to work with and creates a nice mild loaf of sourdough bread.
Then I joined a Yahoo sourdough group and within a few months I was getting offers of different starters to expand my collection.  I had no idea that there were so many different types. My collection now consists of Carls 1847 starter, Sourdough International San Francisco Starter (my favorite, go figure), Richard Packhams 1965 San Francisco starter, Dr. G's Frankenstarter, which is an experiment of 7 starters combined, Amish Friendship bread starter and a Russian starter that I haven't activated yet and plan to make some rye bread out of.  That should be fun.
Paying it forward is the price I've been paying for the starters in my collection.  I have given starters to friends locally as well as sending them to people in Ohio, Calif., Maine, Arizona and Oregon.  Following The Friends of Carl's example, all I ask if someone wants one of the starters in my collection is $1 to cover postage, labels, envelopes etc..  I don't always have alot dried but I do try to keep a little of each on hand in case of emergencies, after all I do live in Florida and you never know when the power is going to go out.
My starters have probably drifted a little from their origins over time  so if you want a pure version of most of them then....

Here is a link to Dr. Woods website and the 12+ starters he offers for
sale.

http://www.sourdo.com/

I know most of us share starters, but keeping in mind the value Dr. Wood
brought to SD baking by collecting and maintaining pure cultues from
multiple sources, there is also a sense we should support him when
feasible.

No comments:

Post a Comment